- USA orders: PayPal, or through Biblio.com or Amazon.com.
- International orders: PayPal or through Biblio.com or
- Institutional purchase orders are welcome -- please
- Florida customers don't get penalized: we give a
discount that compensates for sales tax.
- US Postal Service Priority Mail (2-3 days, USA only):
$6.00 for the first book; $2.00 for each additional
- USPS Media Mail (5-8 days, USA only; 'book rate'):
$4.50 for first book ; $2.00 each additional book.
- All US orders include delivery confirmation.
- Single-item US orders are shipped by USPS Media Mail
if no shipping method is specified; however, smaller
items will be mailed First Class if the postage is less
for First Class than Media Mail.
- Books are shipped by the next post office business
day after payment is received (books are often shipped
the same day if payment is received early enough).
- We notify the customer by email when the book is
- How we describe
- Our rating categories for books
and dust jackets are based on those of AB Bookman's
Weekly. We have tried to improve on this widely-used
- As New: No
defects, crisp [we rarely use this unless the book
is still in publisher's shrinkwrap].
- Fine: No
defects, but maybe not crisp -- has been opened.
- Near Fine:
Fine except for one or two minor defects.
- Very Good: The
book has definitely been used, but is in quite nice
Somewhat worn, but better than average.
- Good: An
'average' used book with considerable wear, but
complete (other than a missing endpaper page).
Very worn, but complete.
- Fair: Very
worn, maybe incomplete, sometimes coming apart [we
have very few of these].
- Poor: Junk
[we don't have any].
- After the overall rating, we
usually add a parenthetical statement about the specific
conditions that caused the rating (for example: "Very
Good overall (details: light foxing, owner name, a few
turned page corners)". We always identify ex-library
books and book club editions (when known). We list the
printing when it is known; if we don't know the edition
or printing, we list 'edition not stated'. We usually
include the height of the book in cm and inches. We are
always glad to provide more information about a book's
content and condition -- inquire.
Service... (miscellaneous policies)
- Full refund if not satisfied for any reason (up to 3
weeks after shipping; customer pays return postage).
- We will gladly provide additional information about
any book -- just ask.
- We check email at least twice a day (usually before 9
am and around 3 pm on weekdays).
- Books on reserve are promptly deleted from our online
- We will gladly ship to a third party ("drop
shipments") with your mailing label or address
information and no receipt -- just let us know in a short
note. [However, we ignore possible
messages placed inside addresses (such as 'No
- Reciprocal trade discount -- please inquire.
- We do not share information about our customers
unless they request us to (such as for auction
- To minimize the possibility of viruses and credit
card theft, we use a MacOS computer, and regularly delete
credit card information from our hard disc.
- We're flexible -- please inquire if you have special
Frequently (and not so
frequently) Asked Questions:
Where are your books stored?
Our books are shelved in an air conditioned, smoke-free,
concrete block building in a well-drained area of beautiful,
Heights, in Tampa, Florida.
Do you have a store? No, we
mostly sell through mail order and at a few shows.
What shows do you sell at?
We usually sell books on plants, nature and related
topics at the University
of South Florida Botanical Garden spring and fall plant
festivals, and books on music, Florida and other topics at
Folk Festival at White Springs in May.
How long have you been in the book
business? We started selling books at a flea market
mall in November 1996. We've been selling books online at
ABE since September, 1997.
Are you licensed? We hold a
mail order business license from the City of Tampa and a
retail license from Hillsborough County. Book & Bowls is
part of Floridana
Stuff Company, a small corporation.
What about the bowls? When
we started business, we also sold collectible bowls (McCoy,
Fire King, etc) and other items. We still sell these things
at Now & Again, flea markets and eBay, but concentrate
Do you specialize? We have a
few books in practically every category, but we are a little
better stocked in books about plants, other science topics,
science fiction, Florida, music, and religion.